Monday, February 14, 2011

Healthy Snacks!!

I want to talk about healthy snacks!!  I decided to talk about this because I suffer from Hypoglycemia, and lately it's been forcing me to squeeze in a few snacks each day!  This is something I would rather not do, but since I just recently got back on track, I suppose it will take a week or two for my blood sugar levels to get back on track as well!!  I do notice when I eat according to my plan, my blood sugar levels remain steady, therefore eliminating the need for snacks, but it's always nice to have a go to list, so to speak!  So here's the deal; a snack does NOT need to be some huge presentation.  It is simply a snack!  So don't make it a meal!  I try to make sure I have a snack with me in my purse at all times, in the event my blood sugar decides to try and ruin my day!  Here are my healthy snack suggestions:

1 organic unsweetened cinnamon applesauce cup
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 apple cut into squares and 2 teaspoons of Almond Butter to dip them in
2 Celery sticks stuffed with 2 oz. tuna or Almond Butter
2 oz. of cold Chicken or Turkey
1/2 of a cucumber with 2 oz. Tuna
1/2 of a sliced cucumber with lemon juice, garlic powder, salt & pepper
1 cup of Skinny Soup
1 slice of Rice cheese
1/2 of a Gluten, soy and sugar free Lowfat Meal Replacement Bar

Be careful when selecting a meal replacement bar, because in my opinion most of them are just glorified candy bars!!  But there are a few good ones out there!  READ your labels!  Always READ your labels!!

I have also found it helpful to make sure I eat at exactly the same time, every single day! I think this is a good habit to incorporate, even if you don't have blood sugar issues!
Here are my meal times-
Breakfast-  8:30
Lunch-      11:30 or 12:00
Snack-      2:30 or 3:00
Dinner-    5:30 or 6:00
Bedtime-  1/2 cup of Chocolate Almond Milk (if needed)

I hope you find the above healthy list of snacks helpful!  :)
Oh!  And Happy Valentine's Day!! :)  And don't even think about eating those Chocolates; so not worth the guilt you will be feeling later!!
Until next time,
Be well :)