Monday, February 7, 2011

Living with IBS

IBS is a chronic problem with the large intestine.  This can cause severe pain & discomfort.  IBS is very common and occurs more often in women!! (Lucky us, lol!)
IBS is very tricky and can be difficult to treat, because no two people are alike; it requires us to pay special attention to what we are eating and how we feel afterwards.  However I do know that there are so called "trigger foods," that affect most people with IBS! 
Here is a list of trigger foods for IBS, and foods you should avoid completely:

Coffee
Soda & carbonated beverages
Alcohol
Gluten
Dairy Products
Red Meat
Fatty & Fried Foods
Cruciferous Vegetables
Lettuce
Garlic 
Onions
Beans & Legumes
Gassy fruits & vegetables

So... you're probably thinking, "Wow!!  What can I eat?"  Well you must be creative for starters, but more importantly, you need to get sick & tired of being sick & tired.  It wasn't until I reached this point, that I began to make changes in my diet.  And as a result, I feel so much better! 
IBS leaves very few vegetables for us to eat, but I have found that I am able to eat zucchini & yellow squash, spaghetti squash, green beans, mushrooms, asparagus, and red and yellow bell peppers.  I do miss the Cruciferous vegetables so every now and again I will indulge in a little broccoli or cauliflower, but I do it in the evening and once I am in for the night.  I also make sure I have a men's large Tshirt to put on, so I don't get too overwhelmed with that feeling of bloat.  LOL!  AS for fruit, I suffer from Candida, so I do not eat fruit; with the exceptions of lemons!  No lettuce you say?? No problem; I just make my salad but leave out the lettuce and it tastes just as good!  It really does!  Garlic and onions were a tough one for me to part with, but I found that I can use garlic and onion powder, which adds tremendous flavor. Coffee was a difficult one to give up, but I now have a hot cup of Chocolate Almond Milk or a cup of Herbal tea in place of coffee.  Every now and again I will indulge in a cup of Decaf, but to do that on a regular basis would cause me problems.  Again, no two people are alike!!  But you can start by avoiding the above foods. 
Need help with an eating plan for IBS?  Just send me a shoutout and I will do my best to help you!
Until then,
Be well :)