Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spice It Up!! Get Creative With Your Food for Weight Loss Success!

Losing weight and getting healthy doesn't mean your meals have to be bland or boring, but it does require you to be creative.  I keep an inventory of about 35 spices in my pantry; I experiment with and use them constantly to make my meals more appealing!  I enjoy my every meal and I never feel deprived because I have learned how to spice up my food to make it taste really really good!!  I actually enjoy my every meal!!
For example, when I steam or roast my vegetables I sprinkle them with Yellow Spike Vegit, and Garlic & Onion powder.  I also drizzle them with Olive Oil and a little salt & pepper.  That sounds a lot more appealing than just a side of plain steamed or roasted vegetables, doesn't it?  When I bake, roast or grill my protein, I also use a variety of spices such as Salt Free Garlic & Herb Seasoning, Garlic & Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper & Lemon Pepper.  I even put Yellow Spike Vegit and Garlic Powder on my eggs!  I am telling you, this is the difference between a bland and boring meal and a satisfying and yummy meal!!  Don't be shy with your spices!!  Use them on everything; even on a salad, or on your sliced tomatoes or cucumbers, etc., etc.,

~My Spice Cabinet~

I am sharing my Spice Cabinet with you!!  I took this picture earlier today!  And behind the spices you see above, there are even more spices. My favorite store to buy spices is Smart & Final, but if you don't have one near you, Costco is another great store for spices.  I also use a few  spices that I can find only at Whole Foods.  I am sharing with you a list of spices that are necessary for creative cooking and weight loss success!!  Have fun with them, get creative and spice up your meals to add great flavor!!  You will not be disappointed!! 
Suggested Spices-
Garlic Powder (Smart & Final has the best garlic powder; it looks more like powder & less granulated)
Onion Powder
Sea Salt
White Pepper
Black Pepper
Cajun Spice Rub (for Fish)
Cayenne Pepper
Cinnamon
Kelp
Pumpkin Pie Spice (Great in coffee or tea)
Lemon & Herb Seasoning (I can only find this at Smart & Final)
Lemon Pepper
Basil Flakes
Cilantro Flakes
Dill Weed (great on fish)
Marjoram
Poultry Seasoning
Sage
Rosemary
Tarragon
Thyme
Turmeric
Cumin
Fennel Powder
Chili Powder
Tarragon
Nutmeg
McCormick's Salt Free Garlic & Herb Seasoning
McCormick's Salt Free Lemon Pepper
McCormick's Salt Free Spicy Seasoning
McCormick's Salt Free It's A Dilly (great for fish)
Mrs. Dash Original Blend (Salt Free)
Mrs. Dash Citrus Seasoning Blend (Salt Free)

Spices available only at Whole Foods-
LoSalt (a 66% reduced salt product; really good)
NuSalt (a healthy salt substitute)
Spike Vegit (the one with the Yellow lid; I use this on EVERYTHING!)
Seven Seasons (all natural, all purpose seasoning & low sodium)

Fresh herbs and spices are great too; but I am limited in that area, due to my severe IBS!  Only you know what your body will tolerate; so experiment a little and do what works for you.

Have fun with it and add great flavor to your meals for weight loss success!!
Until next time,
Be well :)